Funding available to repurpose existing drugs
The National Center for Advancing Translational Science (NCATS) has announced two funding opportunities for researchers to test existing drugs and biologics for potential new applications. These drugs have already surpassed many of the regulatory and developmental hurdles, meaning that researchers can forego some of the most cumbersome steps in the translational process.
Biologics are available through NCATS-Pharmaceutical partnerships and the New Therapeutic Uses program. This program facilitates academic-industry collaboration through template research agreements and access to drug supplies.
The two opportunities
Pre-Application for the NIH-Industry Program: Discovering New Therapeutic Uses for Existing Molecules
- Award type: X02
- Upcoming deadlines: Oct. 31, 2018, March 4, 2019, Oct. 31, 2019
- Clinical Trials not allowed
- Full funding announcement: PAR-18-909
Limited Competition for NIH-Industry Program: Discovering New Therapeutic Uses for Existing Molecules
- Award type: U01
- Upcoming deadlines: May 3, 2019, Aug. 26, 2019
- Amount: up to $3,000,000 in direct costs per year
- Clinical Trials Required
- Full funding announcement: PAR-18-910