01 Jun COVID-19 Plasma Collection
UW Medicine and Bloodworks Northwest are seeking adult volunteers who have recovered from documented SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) infection to be considered for donation of plasma.
Plasma is the liquid component of blood that contains various proteins. Antibodies are proteins in plasma that defend your body against infections. Donated plasma can be used to make medicine containing antibodies to treat people who are fighting a severe infection or who cannot make antibodies on their own. Plasma and medication made from it are used routinely to treat many different diseases. It is unknown whether the antibodies in plasma from people who have recovered from COVID-19 can help people who are ill with a COVID infection.
If you are in general good health and have recovered from a COVID-19 infection, you might be able to help. Your first visit would be at the University of Washington Virology Research Clinic to assess your health and confirm your COVID-19 infection. At that visit, blood would be drawn to see whether you would qualify to be a plasma donor. Depending on the results, you may be invited to make an appointment at Bloodworks Northwest for further screening to become a plasma donor.
– Age ≥18 years old and ≤70 years old
– Subjects must not be symptomatic, must not have had a fever for ≥14 days, must be beyond 28 days of the resolution of their acute illness, and must enroll within 18 months of onset of illness, and
must meet at least 1 of the following:
• History suggestive of resolved COVID-19-like illness (e.g., prior fever, dry cough,
and shortness of breath).
• History of positive test for SARS-CoV-2 (either serologic or RT-PCR)
• Current participation in a protocol for plasmapheresis and an anti-SARS-CoV-2
neutralizing antibody titer of at least 1:80
UW COVID-19 Plasma team
Additional Study Details
Full Study Title
A Pilot Study for Collection of Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Immune Plasma
Anna Wald, MD, MPH
Rebecca Haley, MD
Barbara A Konkle, MD
Accepts Healthy Volunteers?
University of Washington
908 Jefferson Street 11NJ1166
Seattle, Washington 98104