08 Feb Male Contraception Study (DMAU IM CCN015)
DMAU has been given to a very small number of men before. The long-term goal of studying this medication is to use it as a male contraceptive (birth control).
The study will take approximately 5-7 months to complete. During this time you will have to come to the clinic for approximately 12-16 visits; the exact number of visits will depend on how quickly your sperm count returns to normal after receiving the injection.
Men who join the study should be healthy and between the ages of 18-50 years and will be required to use an effective method of contraception if they have a female partner (i.e. at a minimum, condom for the male subject and an effective contraceptive for the female partner).
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTERING THE STUDY:
- Male, age 18-50 years
- Be in good health with no current or chronic diseases
- No current or previous excessive alcohol use, illicit drug, or anabolic steroid abuse
- Fast for at least 8 hours (nothing to eat) during study prior to blood draws
- Able to provide semen samples
- No participation in a research study within 30 days of screening visit
Additional Study Details
Full Study Title
Injectable DMAU for Male Contraception: Safety and Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Single IM or SC DMAU Injection Dose Escalation Study in Healthy Male Volunteers
Stephanie Page, MD, PhD; William Bremner, MD, PhD; John Amory, MD, MPH; Sherry Wu, MD
Accepts Healthy Volunteers?
University of Washington
1959 NE Pacific Street Health Science Bldg, Room C209
Seattle, Washington 98195