18 Nov Research on Family and Home Technology Use
Our research study examines how people 65+ and their support network use internet-connected devices in their homes to stay connected and to care for each other while living apart.Participating in this study consists of a 90 minute group interview over Zoom with an individual aged 65+ and their adult family member with whom they use smart home devices. Both individuals will each be compensated with a $40 gift card ($80 total).
You must fulfill the below criteria to participate in our study:
- Are over 18 and use smart home devices to communicate with or support a friend/family member aged 65+ who can join us in the interview,
- Are aged 65+ and use smart home devices to communicate with a friend/family member over 18 who can join us in the interview.
Both individuals must be able to communicate in English and have reliable access to an internet and phone connection.
Examples of smart home device use include (but are not limited to):
- Using trackers to check up on family members’ health or sleep
- Sharing home controls, automatic reminders, shopping lists, and music playlists via smart home speakers
- Calling or checking up on each other through home cameras or smart speakers like Amazon Ring Indoor Cams, Google Nest, or Facebook Portal
Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions about our study! We would be happy to provide any additional details.
Additional Study Details
Full Study Title
Research on Family and Home Technology Use
Shengzhi Wang, Neilly Tan, Sean Munson
Accepts Healthy Volunteers?
University of Washington
3960 Benton Ln NE
Seattle, Washington 98195