04 Dec Crafting and Delivering Your Elevator Pitch
Many people know that an elevator pitch is important but may not know how to create one or the myriad of situations in which one can be used. Also, the delivery of the pitch is just as important as the content (sometimes even more so)! In this session participants will learn why they should have an elevator pitch and how to tailor it to various situations and goals. The workshop will be interactive so individuals can identify their strengths and challenges and learn from each other, and practice delivering their pitch and receive feedback.
- Participants should read this article before coming but it is not required. https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/guide/elevator-pitch/
- Participants should have paper/pen or computer as presenter will give attendees a few minutes to start drafting their elevator pitch during the session.
At the end of the session, participants will:
- Be able to list preparation techniques in crafting and elevator speech.
- Be able to describe approaches to tailor an approach for different audiences.
- Be able to identify challenges in communicating an elevator speech.
Schedule of Activities
- 11:00am-11:10am – Welcome, Overview, Introductions
- 11:10am-12:25pm – Presentation and Q&A
- 12:25pm-12:30pm – Thank You and Feedback Survey
About the Speaker
Monica Cortés Viharo is a PhD student at the University of Washington’s School of Drama and has earned a certificate in Public Scholarship from the Simpson Center for the Humanities. Currently, she is a member of the Humanities Washington Speaker Bureau and travels the state delivering her workshop Always On: Turning Up the Volume on Everyday Communication. She is also an Adjunct Professor at the University of Puget Sound and recently served as the performance coach for TEDxYouth@Settle. Her work has been published in Theatre Topics, The New England Journal of Theatre, and The Journal of Dramatic Theory and Criticism. Monica earned her Bachelor’s degree in Theater and Political Science at the University of California, Berkeley and has over 20 years of experience as a professional actor, teacher, and public speaking consultant.
Please sign in below to access this form.
Access to this form is restricted to ITHS Members. Please sign in, or create an account.